Wednesday, February 10, 2021

My Inauguration!

Hello 5th graders!

I'm so happy to get started on my platform, Be Positive: Pandemic Perseverance. I'm excited to start working with schools to help make Connecticut more positive (and I mean emotionally)! To learn more about my platform, go to my page on the Connecticut's Kid Governor website, CT.KidGovernor.org/CTKGReese.

First, I'd like to talk to you about my Inauguration that happened a couple of weeks ago on January 22. It was so much fun to meet the 2020 Kid Governor, Myra. She was such a great Kid Governor and I know she will continue to help animals in need in Connecticut. 

My Inauguration was so much fun! Let me tell you about it. I went to the Old State House in Hartford. It was all set up with podiums and cameras and a huge TV where they showed us the livestream of the event. It was really sunny but also really cold. Luckily, I was able to go inside to warm up. I saw my office for the first time and it was awesome! My office has all of the past Kid Governors' portraits, including Myra's, hanging on the walls. They even hung up my picture behind my desk. They put nameplates for me and my Cabinet members all around our meeting table and had lots of my pictures in frames on a set of shelves. My two sisters, Madison and Mckenna, came and brought me hot chocolate. 

Mr. Orcutt from The Connecticut Democracy Center came in and told me it was time to go outside. The livestream started and I watched all of the videos from important state officials congratulating and cheering me and my Cabinet on! I want to thank all of the state officials who took to the time to send a video! I then watched as Secretary of the State Merrill swore in all of my wonderful Cabinet members: Claire, Cora, Houda, Myalee, Nathan, and Sameer. When it was my turn, I walked up to the podium and raised my right hand. I took the oath of office and my parents put the famous Kid Governor sash on me. I then gave my official Inaugural Address to all of you, my constituents!


The livestream ended and I took a lot of pictures with Myra, Secretary Merrill, and my family. Then I went inside for a live news conference with Fox 61 News reporter Ms. Rachel Lutzker and my Cabinet members. It was so much fun to hear my Cabinet member's' points of view on Inauguration Day and I'm so happy to start working with them.


When I was done with the conference, Mrs. Garcia from The Connecticut Democracy Center brought me up to a secret room in the Old State House. This room was pretty small and had a huge green screen that took up most of the space! This was where they host all of their livestreams for the museum. They brought me up here to practice for the question and answer ("Q&A") program I was hosting with members of the three branches of state government. 

After the test run of the computer, Ms. Gorski from The Connecticut Democracy Center came and brought me to all of the rooms in the Old State House. She showed me the old Courtroom and the big meeting rooms. She took a lot of pictures of me to use as my official portrait. 


What I found creepy and exciting was the famous "Museum of Curiosities" that was tucked in the corner of the building. It was kind of scary to see so many weird animals lining the walls. One of the most interesting animals in the collection was the two-headed cow that stood in the middle of the room. This was definitely the most interesting room in the building!

Finally, I wrapped up the day by hosting a Q&A called: Meet the Three Branches of State Government. I was able to ask state officials about their jobs in the government. The officials who joined me were Lt. Governor Bysiewicz, Attorney General Tong, Judge Eveleigh, and Senator Hwang. I want to thank these officials for taking time out of their incredibly busy schedules to join this program and answer questions from 5th graders!

I'd like to thank everyone who made my inauguration possible: The Connecticut Democracy Center, those who were tuning in, and my Cabinet. I am so proud of all of you for you hard work! I especially want to thank the 5th graders of Connecticut and their teachers who support the CTKG program!

To wrap up and to help you get to know me, my blog posts will have a fun fact about me! I hope you really get to know me by the time my term is over. So, here is today's fun fact: I was born on December 31st-- New Year's Eve!

Stay Positive! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Meeting 2022 Kid Governor Makhi

Hello! 5th graders! I hope you all are doing well and having a great new year so far! Today I’m going to tell you about a meeting I attended...