Tuesday, February 2, 2021

CTKG Reese's Inaugural Address

 A message from your friends at The Connecticut Democracy Center...

On Friday, January 22, 2021, Reese Naughton of Southington was sworn in as the 2021 Connecticut's Kid Governor (CTKG). During a socially distanced hybrid ceremony, she received the Oath of Office from Secretary of the State Denise Merrill in front of. a livestream audience of students, teachers, parents, community members and others on the east lawn of Connecticut's Old State House in Hartford.

2021 CTKG Reese takes the Oath of Office from Secretary Merrill

You can relive the excitement of the Inauguration by watching the livestream of the Ceremony, News Conference, and Educational Program. You can watch CTKG Reese's inaugural address HERE or read the text of it below! Check out the album of photos from Inauguration Day on Facebook.


Good morning to all of the students, teachers, community members, and guests who are able to tune in today.

First, I’d like to thank all of the 5th grade students who participated in the Kid Governor program this past fall by running for office, voting, or both. I’d like to congratulate my Cabinet members; Claire, Cora, Houda, Myalee, Nathan, and Sameer. Your platforms are so important and I can’t wait until we can work together!

I’d really like to thank my family. My mom, for inspiring me. My dad for encouraging me. My sister Madison, for helping me with research, And my sister Mckenna, for supporting me. I’d also like to thank my Principal, Mrs. Rogala, and my teacher, Mrs. Chavez. Between filming my campaign video and helping me write speeches, you have done so much for me.

Our 2020 Kid Governor Myra has accomplished so much this past year. Spreading awareness for animals is an important issue, and she has done it so passionately, especially during this difficult pandemic. Myra has given me amazing advice, and I really appreciate her efforts.

I want to give a shout out to the CT Democracy Center, Mr. Cofrancesco, Ms. Whipple, Ms. Gorski, Mr. Orcutt, and everyone else. You really show kids that THEY can make a difference and that THEY are capable of changing the world.

Finally, I’d like to thank the Connecticut dignitaries that are here, in person AND online. This includes Lieutenant Governor Bysiewicz, Senator Blumenthal, Congressman Larson, Secretary Merrill, Attorney General Tong, Commissioner Cardona, and State Senator Sampson.

I was inspired to spread positivity when the coronavirus pandemic struck and our world changed. Like so many of you, I couldn’t see my friends, I had to stay home, and I had to get used to wearing a mask. This made me have so many feelings that I realized other kids must be having: sadness, loneliness, and isolation. When I had the opportunity to run for Kid Governor, I did it to help others NOT feel this way. Positivity is so important for our mental health, and I believe my platform, “Be Positive: Pandemic Perseverance” will help improve the mental health of Connecticut residents.

During my term, I will need your help, 5th graders, to achieve my platform.

First, we will brighten the lives of nursing home residents by making cards to send to local nursing homes or to share virtually. Classes will begin in February by making Valentine’s Day cards with positive messages to send.

Next, I will create a virtual community crate with positive and uplifting messages from me, my Cabinet, and Connecticut 5th graders for people across the state to read for inspiration. I will share a template of a face mask that students can use to write their own messages to submit to the crate. I will also work with the CT Democracy Center to coordinate a poster contest for artwork with positive messages. 5th graders, you can help by drawing a poster!

Finally, I will encourage students to take care of their mental health through safe, outdoor activities. Did you know that when you exercise outside, your body’s endorphins increase which boosts your mood and makes you more positive? That is something that we could all use, so I will organize a friendly competition to see which 5th grade class can spend the most time outside. This contest will focus on getting students outside, active, and positive. By walking your dog or playing outside you are helping the world be more positive!

Thank you all so much for tuning in for today’s virtual Inauguration. Just remember that if we persevere through this pandemic together, we can overcome it with positivity. Together, WE CAN GET THROUGH THIS. Thank you.

2020 CTKG Myra Stanfield with 2021 CTKG Reese Naughton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meeting 2022 Kid Governor Makhi

Hello! 5th graders! I hope you all are doing well and having a great new year so far! Today I’m going to tell you about a meeting I attended...