Wednesday, June 2, 2021

From the CTKG Cabinet: Visit Your Local Book Store!

Hi, everyone! My name is Claire and I am a member of CTKG Reese's cabinet. My platform is "Stronger Together" and focuses on promoting anti-racism. I'm so excited to tell you all what I did a few weeks ago! I went to one of my local independent bookstores, Savoy Bookshop and Cafe in Westerly, Rhode Island, to meet the manager, tour the store, and learn more about diverse books. There is also a sister store, Bank Square Books in Mystic, Connecticut. We filmed a video of my experience which will be shared here soon. The manager of the store, Ms. Kelsy, was so kind and introduced books to me about anti-racism, diversity, holidays, and cultural traditions! She told me that Savoy works very hard to welcome and include all people.

Savoy Bookshop has a great selection of inclusive books!

Books are super important! They contain a ton of cool information about other cultures, stories about all kinds of characters, and can teach about serious topics like racism. During my visit, Ms. Kelsy and I were able to take a look at several diverse picture books, non-fiction books about activism and anti-racism, and a variety of terrific young adult novels that were all super interesting!

If you are interested in learning more about issues around racism, other cultures, or activism, you can find great books at your local independent bookstores, public library, school library, in your classroom, or even online to download and read! I highly recommend this as you can learn so much from books and read wonderful stories. If you are not sure what to select, just ask. A store employee or your librarian will be happy to help you find what you're looking for.

Librarians and book store staff can help you find exactly what you're looking for.
 
My visit to Savoy was super fun, too. Savoy Bookshop has such a lovely interior! While looking around to find and discuss books with Ms. Kelsy, I had an amazing time! I went with my mom and a teacher from my school, Mrs. Temel! If you haven't been to a bookstore lately, or ever, I hope you will find one to explore.

Please consider visiting your local independent bookstore for anti-racist books or books that are wonderfully diverse! Check out this list to see if there is an independent bookshop near you!

Thank you so much for reading. My video is coming soon!

-Claire Li
Kid Governor's Cabinet
West Vine Street School
Stonington, CT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meeting 2022 Kid Governor Makhi

Hello! 5th graders! I hope you all are doing well and having a great new year so far! Today I’m going to tell you about a meeting I attended...