Friday, June 11, 2021

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Nathan!

My name is Nathan Williams and I go to Kennelly School in Hartford. I'm a member of the Kid Governor's Cabinet, and my leadership qualities include being kind, helpful, a good team player, and a great listener. I like to draw, play basketball and football, watch TV, and play video games in my free time. I have lived in Connecticut for 5 years.

On March 24th (the day before my birthday!), I got approval from my school principal to speak via the intercom during morning announcements. I was so glad to be given the opportunity to speak to all the children at my school about how they can encourage their families and friends to eliminate racism. I did this to encourage everyone to see people for who they really are not see them based only on their skin color or where they come from. Oh, also my Mom told me that racism began as a way to divide people and for some people to gain power over others. So I believe it can be eliminated if we accept people for who they are and look for the similarities in people instead of the differences.

I plan on doing another announcement in my school soon. It would also be great if those of you reading this blog would try to have a conversation with your family and friends and encourage them to spread love and understanding and not indifference. Maybe if we all do this then we can eliminate racism one day! 

-Nathan Williams
Kid Governor's Cabinet
Kennelly School
Hartford, CT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meeting 2022 Kid Governor Makhi

Hello! 5th graders! I hope you all are doing well and having a great new year so far! Today I’m going to tell you about a meeting I attended...